Monday, June 28, 2004

George W. Bush, Will You Please Go Now?!

George W. Bush, Will You Please Go Now?!
"But if nothing else, the film made one thing very clear to me: For all the talk about how much Michael Moore hates America, he actually loves this country very, very much. He loves it enough to decry the way the Bush administration is curtailing its freedoms, to be outraged at police being sent to 'infiltrate' peace groups full of cookie-baking middle-aged liberals, to empathize with both the soldiers who don't have any idea what they're doing in Iraq and the parents who don't have any idea why their children died over there. Moore loves America very much, he just doesn't like what Bush is turning it into, and it says a lot about the Moore-haters out there that they automatically equate his opposition to Bush with hatred of our country. We've said it before, and we'll say it again -- there is a substantial portion of people in this country, and more importantly of people in power, for whom the welfare of George W. Bush is the first priority and the welfare of the American people comes second. Moore shouldn't be the least bit ashamed of himself for not being one of those people."

Well put.
I don't really have blogging time now, but ever since seeing "Fahrenheit 9/11," I've been bursting with just about every emotion everyone else in the nation should be bursting with now- anger, frustration, amazement, sadness . . . and I have to say that I left the theatre feeling more patriotic than ever just because I knew that the film wasn't an attack on America, it was a plea for the restoration of America's welfare.

I turned on the TV today to see Bushy prematurely turning Iraq over. Not two days premature, of course . . . like, eleven years premature. It's like that bully technique- the "break and give-back." You know it. You grab someone's colored pencils, step on them and give them back. "I believe this belongs to you."

We broke Iraq and now we're handing it over. I wish I had more hope. I wish I felt better about this. I saw the President on TV saying that old line about how Sadaam tortured his own people. Who writes this guy's stuff? You'd think any idiot with an English degree and experience in PR would say "ix-nay on the orture-tay," given the fact that there have been so many public example of torture on our part. I mean, come on. "He brutalized and tortured his own people" . . . and we said, if anyone's going to be doing the torturing around here, it's gonna be US!

And then we have Dick Cheney telling people to go f*&k themselves on the floor of the Senate. Hm. Is it just me, or is this entire administration descending to the level of 6th grade bullies, prickly, defensive, mean-spirited, but in the end, deeply insecure about the future? I hope it's just me . . . but in some ways I doubt it.

Doubt and hope are enemies . . . but it seems like I've never had such abundant quantities of both.

Moore is no more representative of the entire Left than Ann Coulter is representative of the Right, but I've got to say it's pretty amazing that the line to see F911 was out the door (literally). It was pretty amazing the uproarious laughter, audible tears, and thunderous applause that the movie provoked among the audience I sat with at the matinee. I left the theatre thinking, you know, I will honestly be very, deeply surprised if Bush wins again. There was no fire in the last election, nothing more at stake than some tax laws . . . but this time, we left the theatre like people escaping Plato's cave. It hurt like hell to know just how awful the war is, just how corrupt the administration is . . . it hurt, but it's so much better to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment