Friday, May 27, 2005

So long, LoMo.

Okay, so after coming home and discovering that yet another misogynistic pickup truck (this one decorated with a huge decal of the head and naked breasts of Betty Boop over the words "got milk?") had moved into our apartment complex, I decided it was time to move on. Not just moving within Longmont, not moving to Boulder, but moving ON . . . to Denver.

The truck really wasn't the straw that broke the camel's back, it has been a long six months since the time that I thought I was leaving the old hometown. But being the yuppie in my apartment complex (because I still have all my teeth and don't decorate my vehicle with body parts), living across the street from an actual farm (honest! There are cows and horses and everything!) and living in a town that is welcoming a new WalMart SuperCenter with open arms while local businesses flounder has finally driven me to decide that a change was needed. That and the fact that we got a not-so-polite notice from our landlady that basically said we had two weeks to make a decision on whether or not we were going to renew the lease. As for me, the answer is no.

So I'll have to get up earlier. So I'll have to commute (or take the RTD bus . . . I've done it before). So I'll be alone in the big city. I'm 23. There's only a small amount of time that one gets to make these kinds of decisions without upsetting the lives of others. So I'm going for it.

So . . . anyone know of anyone who is leaving their lavish, rent-controlled Cheeseman Park apartment in August?

4 comments:

  1. When I lived in Longmont (1987-1990), I had a nice house on Bross Street, a half-block south of Roosevelt Park. The rent was $500 a month for a two-bedroom place with a huge backyard. Ah, those were the days.

    Maybe you can find something nice in Gunbarrel...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am visualizing you a perfect apartment in Denver. I lived there in '76 and '77 in one of the most incredible apartments ever. If I could have figured a way to create income, I'd be there still, but alas and alack.... There's a cute place in a cute neighborhood waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've altered your blog and now your life.

    A little distance doesn't hurt, and it gives you a new perspective, but house hunting and moving are not fun.

    Now is the time to nail down all of the people who owe you favors so you have time to "guilt trip" them into helping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, I love your banner with the photo of Longs and Meeker. I have stood on top of Longs Peak twice -- 1964 and 1980 -- and I have pictures of it on my computer desktop. Thanks for the memories... (hey, what a good song title!)

    ReplyDelete