Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Tuesday Lists- "Pigeons or Catholics" Edition

"I think people should mate for life, like pigeons, or Catholics."

So, I just got Woody Allen's "Manhattan" from the local library (God bless them and their DVD section) and I think so far it is my favorite Woody Allen film. This is for a number of reasons, chief among them being that Allen's character is actually loveable in "Manhattan" and not as contemptible as he can be in his other films. I like the whole setup- the characters coming to terms with the fact that they can't be as perfect as they want to be.

And I like that moment, the whole NYC, 1979 moment before New York became a theme park, before they shot John Lennon. It's a time defined by the fact that it was the end of something. Like the year before the stock market crashed. I like the ways the different characters deal with the whole notion of the absurd, of understanding at once the insignificance of their own lives while aspiring to something bigger.

But my favorite part is where Isaac is dictating his reasons to go on living:

Why is life worth living? It's a very good question. Um...Well, There are certain things I guess that make it worthwhile. uh...Like what... okay...um...For me, uh... ooh... I would say ... what, Groucho Marx, to name one thing... uh...um... and Wilie Mays... and um ... the 2nd movement of the Jupiter Symphony ... and um... Louis Armstrong, recording of Potato Head Blues ... um ... Swedish movies, naturally ... Sentimental Education by Flaubert ... uh... Marlon Brando, Frank Sinatra ... um ... those incredible Apples and Pears by Cezanne... uh...the crabs at Sam Wo's... uh... Tracy's face ...


So here, for the Tuesday list, are my reasons to go on living.

- Swedish movies, naturally
- Tabbouli
- Etta James
- Summer evenings in Colorado
- David Sedaris books
- Venture Brothers cartoons
- Grand Prix racing
- Cats (the animal, not the musical)
- Rock shows in shady bars
- New Mexico green chile
- Midwestern boys
- Vintage clothes
- Proto's pizza
- My sister
- Terrible sci-fi movies
- DeBussy
- Night swimming
- Driving nowhere in the foothills with the top down
- Surprises

1 comment:

  1. Hey! What about impressing your parental units!?!?! What are ve? Chopped livuh?

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete