Tuesday, June 14, 2005

vacation, all I ever wanted . . .

I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park and you want to bail out. Well I'll tell you something. This is no longer a vacation. It's a quest. It's a quest for fun. I'm gonna have fun and you're gonna have fun. We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgeory to remove our godamn smiles. You'll be whistling 'Zip-A-Dee Doo-Dah' out of you're assholes! I gotta be crazy! I'm on a pilgrimage to see a moose. Praise Marty Moose! Holy Shit!


Yep, another big Family Road Trip is rolling around over the weekend of the Fourth. Possible destinations so far might include Austin, Glacier NP or horrible fates as yet unimagined. Should be fun!

Nah, I kid, but it always is fun. Sister Vespa is back in town, rested and ready to party before the Peace Corps sends us her marching orders. Maybe we'll take her up to a lodge in the Catskills where she'll find true love with a bad boy dance instructor and he will tell us gruffly not to put her in a corner. And I'll sing a horrible rendition of Ado Annie in the resort show.

Or not.

Sorry, feeling a little loopy today, mostly just kind of pleased that my nuclear family is back in the same time zone.

In other news, the apartment search continues to go well and so I was running through the numbers involved with my commute. Funny story.

Tom Servo the Wundersaab gets around 30-32 mpg, highway.
It is around 75 miles round trip per day for the commute.
Ergo, we're talking about 2.41 gallons of gasoline per day (choke!). At around $2 per gallon, that gets you to about five dollars a day for a commute.
I work approximately 22 days per month. So, the monthly gas costs I'm looking at will be about $100-$110 per month.

Ouch, I think. But then, I go to the RTD web site to look at monthly passes. Get this. A monthly regional pass, which I'd need to get on the "L" bus to Longmont:

$135.

Or, if I were to just go ahead and pay the $3.75 each way to ride the bus and not get the pass, it would be $165.

I'll actually save $20 and an hour of my time daily by just driving my poor ass up and down I-25 myself. I honestly had faith in public transportation. Used it all the time in college and in NYC. But the system here actually makes it more economical to take your own car. I mean, I was thinking it would be great to sit around, read my books and magazines on the way, and be pleased with myself for not polluting with my own vehicle. But I'm not about to shell out $20 for that privilege.

Pretty sad, really.

7 comments:

  1. Nobody puts Baby in a corner!

    P.S. Your family still takes road trips together! That's rad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family never takes road trips and if we did they would be a huge diaster. But its all memories.. so id take it..

    http://pinksandpaper.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Saab is a converted gumball machine with root beer mini-keg?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, but it is a semi-tempermental little car-bot, red in color, stout in shape. The name is pretty apropos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The advantage of public transportation in this instance is passive commuting. If you're not driving you can sleep, read, or just relax. There are advantages to both, so stay flexible. On days when the traffic is ungodly heavy, take public transit. On days with bad weather, take public transit. Both can work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Lost-Faith-in-Public-Transportation: You didn't factor in the wear-and-tear on Mr. Tom. (And Saab parts ain't cheap!) Crunch THIS: The difference between gas & commute is $25/mo or $300 a yr. In one year, you'll have put on approximately 20,000 miles. That's 6 oil changes at a minimum $16 each (assuming you use a coupon from your newspaper's coupon book) or ~$100+/yr with tax. Then there's the brake job you'll need from all the stop-and-go traffic--PLUS the massage or chiropractor from the shot nerves and twisted back. Believe me, you'd rather read a book and let RTD do the driving. The best years of my life were spent reading the Washington Post on a Metro bus or train in DC.
    Your co-worker in Advertising

    ReplyDelete
  7. What Anonymous said, and don't forget tune-ups (spensive!). And what if something breaks? 75$ hr. and up. Ouch.

    ReplyDelete