Monday, July 25, 2005

A little lite music blogging

It's too hot to get all ranty about the war, or about Egypt, or about how only a lobotomized jellyfish could deny the fact that the current rise in terror is direct fallout from the so-called War on Terror. So, I'll take a cue from Norbizness and have a look at the new Rhino compilation of 90s music.

I have categorized the playlist as follows. Keep in mind that the 90s were from when I was 9 to when I was 19:

SHAMEFUL/STUPID/OVERRATED:
DETACHABLE PENIS - King Missile
I'M TOO SEXY - Right Said Fred (R*S*F*)
JUMP - Kris Kross
BABY GOT BACK - Sir Mix-A-Lot
BITCH - Meredith Brooks
MMMBOP - Hanson
INFORMER - Snow
U CAN'T TOUCH THIS - M.C. Hammer
I TOUCH MYSELF - Divinyls
GROOVE IS IN THE HEART - Deee-Lite
WALKING IN MEMPHIS - Marc Cohn
RUMP SHAKER – Wreckx-N-Effect
SEX AND CANDY - Marcy Playground
WALKING ON THE SUN - Smash Mouth
WHO WILL SAVE YOUR SOUL - Jewel
FREAK ME – Silk
CARNIVAL - Natalie Merchant
BROKEN HEARTED SAVIOR - Big Head Todd And The Monsters
WHOOMP! (THERE IT IS) - Tag Team
I'LL BE THERE FOR YOU (THEME FROM "FRIENDS") - The Rembrandts
SHINE - Collective Soul
WHAT IT'S LIKE – Everlast
BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S - Deep Blue Something
WHAT I GOT - Sublime

APROPOS:
MY NAME IS MUD – Primus
TURN IT ON - Sleater-Kinney
BRIAN WILSON (Live) - Barenaked Ladies
LULLABY - Shawn Mullins
OUTTASITE (OUTTA MIND) – Wilco
CYBELE'S REVERIE – Stereolab
CAUGHT BY THE FUZZ – Supergrass
WHAT'S THE FREQUENCY, KENNETH? - R.E.M.
ONE OF US - Joan Osborne
NOT A PRETTY GIRL - Ani DiFranco
TOMORROW – Silverchair
RUN-AROUND - Blues Traveler
GOOD - Better Than Ezra
HERE AND NOW - Letters To Cleo
M.I.A. - 7 Year Bitch
YOU GOTTA BE - Des'ree
THUNDER KISS '65 - White Zombie
UNDER THE BRIDGE - Red Hot Chili Peppers
O.P.P. - Naughty By Nature
BIRDHOUSE IN YOUR SOUL - They Might Be Giants
UNBELIEVABLE - EMF
HARD TO HANDLE - The Black Crowes
RUNAWAY TRAIN - Soul Asylum
LITTLE MISS CAN'T BE WRONG - Spin Doctors
DIZZ KNEE LAND – dada
ORDINARY WORLD - Duran Duran
HEY JEALOUSY - Gin Blossoms
MY SISTER - The Juliana Hatfield Three

GROUNDBREAKING:
LADIES FIRST - Queen Latifah Featuring Monie Love
WHATTA MAN – Salt-N-Pepa
SHE DON'T USE JELLY - The Flaming Lips

UNDERRATED:
FREE YOUR MIND - En Vogue
IN THE MEANTIME - Spacehog
BALL AND CHAIN - Social Distortion
VIRTUAL INSANITY – Jamiroquai
TUBTHUMPING - Chumbawamba
6 UNDERGROUND - Sneaker Pimps

GUILTY PLEASURE:
LOVEFOOL - The Cardigans
JUMP AROUND - House Of Pain
GONNA MAKE YOU SWEAT (EVERYBODY DANCE NOW) - C & C Music Factory
RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW - Jesus Jones
KISS ME - Sixpence None The Richer
STEAL MY SUNSHINE – LEN
MMM MMM MMM MMM - Crash Test Dummies
THE IMPRESSION THAT I GET - The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
WONDERWALL – Oasis
NAKED EYE - Luscious Jackson
WOO HAH!! GOT YOU ALL IN CHECK - Busta Rhymes featuring Rampage The Last Boy Scout

DEFINITELY CRIED TO THIS WHEN I WAS 12:

NOTHING COMPARES 2 U - Sinéad O'Connor

MUST HAVE BEEN POPULAR WHEN I WAS STILL LISTENING TO MY MOM'S MUSIC/NOT FAMILIAR WITH IT:
BACK & FORTH - Aaliyah
IF THAT'S YOUR BOYFRIEND (HE WASN'T LAST NIGHT) - Me'Shell NdegéOcello
FREEDOM OF '76 - Ween
CUT YOUR HAIR - Pavement
IF I CAN'T CHANGE YOUR MIND - Sugar
NO MYTH - Michael Penn
CHLOE DANCER/CROWN OF THORNS - Mother Love Bone
HERE'S WHERE THE STORY ENDS - The Sundays
NEW JACK HUSTLER (NINO'S THEME) - Ice-T
INTO THE DRINK - Mudhoney
GIRLFRIEND - Matthew Sweet
CALLING ALL ANGELS - Jane Siberry with k.d. lang
ONLY SHALLOW - My Bloody Valentine
SILENT LUCIDITY - Queensrÿche
N.W.O. - Ministry
SHITLIST - L7
ABSYNTHE - The Gits
THEY WANT EFX - DAS EFX
WALK - Pantera
COATTAIL RIDER – Supersuckers
NEARLY LOST YOU - Screaming Trees
UNSUNG – Helmet
THREE LITTLE PIGS - Green Jellÿ
START CHOPPIN - Dinosaur Jr.
THE DEVIL'S CHASING ME - The Reverend Horton Heat
GONE TO THE MOON - Fastbacks
CONNECTED - Stereo MC's
TRUST ME - Guru with N'Dea Davenport
GEPETTO - Belly
EYE TO EYE - The Muffs
GENTLEMEN - Afghan Whigs
LEAFY INCLINE DREAM ALL DAY - The Posies
FAR BEHIND – Candlebox
BRICK - Ben Folds Five
ITSZOWEEZEE (HOT) - De La Soul
KUNG FU – Ash
CAPRI PANTS - Bikini Kill
STANDING OUTSIDE A BROKEN PHONE BOOTH WITH MONEY IN MY HAND - Primitive Radio Gods
PHOTOGRAPH - The Verve Pipe
SWEET 69 - Babes In Toyland
CUMBERSOME - Seven Mary Three
BIRTHDAY CAKE - Cibo Matto
GIRL, YOU'LL BE A WOMAN SOON - Urge Overkill (I know the original, of course, but I don't think I've heard this one.)
SUGAR FREE JAZZ - Soul Coughing
MOCKINGBIRDS - Grant Lee Buffalo
REVOLVE – Melvins
RADIATION VIBE - Fountains Of Wayne

HAD A CRUSH ON THE LEAD SINGER:
IT'S A SHAME ABOUT RAY - The Lemonheads
BUDDY HOLLY - Weezer

PLAYED DURING AWKWARD SCHOOL SLOW DANCES:
IT'S SO HARD TO SAY GOODBYE TO YESTERDAY - Boyz II Men
SLIDE - Goo Goo Dolls

CHANGED MY LIFE:
WHAT'S UP - 4 Non Blondes
NATURAL BLUES - Moby
GOD - Tori Amos
POSSESSION - Sarah McLachlan (My first major concert, outside of punk rock shows at the local Elks lodge, was Lilith Fair)
21ST CENTURY (DIGITAL BOY) - Bad Religion

CONSPICUOUSLY ABSENT (possibly due to prohibitively expensive licensing fees):
The Smashing Pumpkins
Anything from Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, etc.
Paul Oakenfold, Chemical Brothers, DaftPunk, Massive Attack or anything else from the rave years
Not that I was a big fan, but what of the "Latin Explosion!" we supposedly had in 98-9?
U2 or Madonna (look, I liked "Discotheque" and "Ray of Light," OK? I was, like, 16!)
The ultimate guilty pleasure- Paula Cole before she got so full of herself
The Offspring
Dre or Snoop Dogg (love them or hate them, they a hand in defining the decade)

8 comments:

  1. Evan Dando? He's trouble, honey!

    Damn, I could make a 2-CD compilation for you exclusively from the unfamiliar list, if only I could figure out what I did to my CD burner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You dissed Dee-Lite . . . sorry, but we could never hang . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. GIRL, YOU'LL BE A WOMAN SOON - Urge Overkill (I know the original, of course, but I don't think I've heard this one.)

    If you have seen Pulp Fiction, you have heard this version. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, OK. For some reason I thought the Pulp Fiction version was older . . . from the 70s, like most of the songs on the soundtrack.

    Shame on me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. VV-

    You made me feel old when I read the list titled: "MUST HAVE BEEN POPULAR WHEN I WAS STILL LISTENING TO MY MOM'S MUSIC/NOT FAMILIAR WITH IT." I loved some of those!

    Plus, where is Soundgarden?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rivers is trouble, too. I was totally crushing on the other guy in Weezer, the one who left and formed The Rentals. DANG.

    King Missle. Sigh. I see that song denigrated everywhere, but I love it so. I hear it, and I fall over laughing on cue. No matter how old I get, the line "He wanted 22 bucks but I talked him down to 17" sends me into gales of laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have taste

    (but kindly note the lack of comment on the quality of that taste)

    :) :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rhino has no love for the Cake. C'mon, you don't get more iconic than "The Distance".

    ReplyDelete