Friday, July 29, 2005

A Livejournal moment

Pete was kind enough to request that I participate in this fun little meme:

List ten songs that you are currently digging ... it doesn't matter what genre they are from, whether they have words, or even if they're no good, but they must be songs you're really enjoying right now. Post these instructions, the artists, and the ten songs in your blog. Then tag five other people to see what they're listening to.

Here goes . . .

1. Beck- "Go It Alone," with Jack White. I don't care what anyone says, I dig the Stripes, I dig Beck, and together they make the perfect drop-the-top-crank-the-volume song for Summer. By November, I'll probably hate it.

2. The Epoxies- "Need More Time." The Epoxies have this great funky 80s punk rock sound, sort of like if the Clash had a girl on vocals.

3. Elvis Costello- "Good Year for the Roses." This is not his best musically, but the lyrics break your heart.

4. Neko Case- "Thrice All American." It's about the tender feelings of defensiveness she gets when people diss her hometown of Tacoma. I can relate.

5. Von Iva - "Solid Gold." Rockin grrrl band music, lots of fun, great driving music.

6. Arcade Fire- "Rebellion (Lies)." The best song on an otherwise super weird album.

7. Snow Patrol- "Run." Lyrics like a seventh grade love poem, but a really decently orchestrated song.

8. Gershwin- "Rhapsody in Blue." Since I saw "Manhattan," I find myself humming this all the time.

9. The White Stripes- "Blue Orchid." I don't care much for the newest album, but I do dig this song.

10. Fischerspooner vs Billy Squier- "Everybody Wants You To Emerge," a mash-up song of epic proportions. I like to ask people at parties what song they'd strip to- since I've gotten over ACDC's "You Shook Me All Night Long," this has become my choice.

So there ya go- a really random mix of what I'm listening to this summer. I'm supposta pass this on to five others, so I'm calling on Ass, Lizzie, Red Jalepeno, Dex and Bobby to tell me what is going on in their ears these days.

11 comments:

  1. 3. Have you ever heard the original? I know all country songs are covered multiple times, but I think it's George Jones, 1970.

    10. Billy Squier wins! Billy Squier always wins! Everybody wants him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. in no particular order:

    10) "illuminated by the light," weird war. vestal and her poor crippled sister can testify.

    9) "dear god," tricky. cover of the xtc song, from tricky's 2003 'vulnerable.'

    8) "stay," tricky. there's a fabulous singer he's doing this album with, and i though this song was a great intro to her for old tricky fans like me. i hope she stuck around for the 2004 release.

    7) "hanging on the telephone," blondie.

    6)"a beautiful place," boards of canada.

    5) "10 dollars," mia. whenever i listen to this, i like to pretend i'm a club dj and this is my signature 1230am-everyone's-sweaty-and-turned-on track.

    4) "has it come to this?" the streets. my fave track on the first streets.

    3) "clean living," rjd2. everything i've heard by this cat is top drawer.

    2) "breathe in," frou frou. imogen's so good, when i walk down the street howling this song she makes me think i sound like her.

    1) "born too slow," the crystal method. it takes everything i've got not to break into a run when i hear this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the only bands i really knew on your list were arcade fire and the strokes and beck... and i am SO UNCOOL! by the way, what do you think of the album "funeral" by arcade fire? i think it's one of my favorites. anyway, just wanted to let you know that you can bequeath music recommendations upon me anytime you want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beck, Costello, Gershwin and Squier are the ones I am familiar with from your list, VV.

    XTC and Blondie are the only ones I know from Dex's bag of tricks.

    Showing my age...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so much more mainstream than you cats, but here is what's been in my head lately.

    10) "Fix You" Coldplay, I'm a real sucker for a boy who sings about crying... whoa, I am so emo
    9) "Miracle" by the fighters of foo... yet another rather sappy one, but it makes me feel better
    8) "Dirty Harry" Gorillaz, how can you resist a child's choir singing "cause all we do is dance?" with those sweet beats
    7) "Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus: Facilis Descenus Averni" The Mars Volta. I cannot listen to this without wiggling salsa-style. And all hail the return of the 14 minute rock ballad. *on knees, genuflecting*
    6) "Tiny Vessels" Deathcab for Cutie, I didn't realize until I started this list that I might be a little bit depressed.
    5)"Pink Moon" Nick Drake... so pretty.
    4) "Missing" Beck. I think there might be a pigeon doing back up in this song. Reason enough to check it out.
    3) "Danko/Manuel" The Drive By Truckers. Southern rock is my new favorite genre. Not that this song really sounds all that southern-rock-y... it's more southern lullaby-like. Jason Isbell has an amazing voice.
    2) *guilty pleasure* "All of This" Blink 182. Ok, I know they are a little bit lame, but Robert Smith sings on this song, thus making it better than any other Blink song ever. Still kinda sad... damn, I have no happy songs.
    1) "Mexico" Cake. This one has all kinds of sentimental value attached to it that won't make sense to many, but let me just say "I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo."
    I think I need to go eat some chocolate or something now, or maybe run around the block... apparently I need to release some endorphins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Billy Squier ... you are one daring person to be groovin' on Billy Squier!

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's interesting to me that the "top 10 songs off your iTunes shuffle" meme has been replaced by "top 10 songs you are actually enjoying". it kind of makes you wonder whether the former has - ulp - "jumped the shark".

    an old friend sent me a mix CD [quaintly and ironically labeled "mix tape"] and i prepared to send her a response, then caught myself momentarily considering relying on iTunes shuffle. reprehensible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where did you fing that Beck/Stripes collaboration? I haven't heard of that one.

    I love Beck. I just saw him live last week here in Southern California.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where did you fing that Beck/Stripes collaboration? I haven't heard of that one.

    I love Beck. I just saw him live last week here in Southern California.



    I love Beck, too. I saw him right after Midnight Vultures came out- my first big concert all by myself.

    "Go It Alone" is on "Guero." I believe it is song No. 10.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have begun compiling my list but as i am travelling, i have not had the time to actually evaluate it to see if it is up to snuff, as they say. i will post this when i return to my "normal" life which really isn't very normal at all. i will warn, however, that as i am abroad my current listenings are rather limited to the 10 or so cds i brought along.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ok, deed is done. i posted over at my place.

    hey are you the "-C" that commented on fried bananas? my first thought was you but you used the letter "u" in place of that threw me off.

    ReplyDelete