Friday, August 12, 2005

Cat and music blogging

What could be better?


Audrey on her favorite rug . . .

AND

Denver metro concert update:

1. Looks like Oasis and Kasabian are coming to Red Rocks September 20 for what I will call the "Pompous Belligerent Asshole Summer Tour." Too bad I like the sound of both bands . . . they seem like groups that would be really fun to dislike.

2. Nine Inch Nails, Queens of the Stone age and Autolux are headed to the Pepsi Center in October for a concert that is sure to bring together at least two generations of pasty white guys with notebooks full of poetry using the word "tortured."

3. System of the Down, The Mars Volta and Bad Acid Trip, Oct. 2 at the Pepsi Center. Word to the wise- this is going to be like a good music sandwich made with crap for bread. I intend to wait for the day when SOAD is opening for The Mars Volta, then it might be worth going. By then the tweens who listen to SOAD and cry about girlfriends named Hayleigh will probably have gotten over it. Probably.

4. Rufus Wainwright, Ben Lee and Ben Folds, Aug. 16 at the Fillmore. This could be cool, but I envision the crowd as a Chex Mix of supersensitive gay guys, starry-eyed piano girls with reluctant boyfriends and plenty of college girls. Might not be worth it.

5. White Stripes, Aug. 22 at Red Rocks (I dig the color + object combo. They should have a festival with the White Stripes, the Legendary Pink Dots, Green Day and Black Flag at Red Rocks . . . or maybe not). Come for Jack White's mental illness, stay for Meg White's enthusiastic, if not terribly complex drum antics.

6. Tom Petty, Aug. 30 and 31 at Red Rocks. Yes, I'm going. No, I'm not really a huge "fan" of Tom Petty, I mean, he's alright and I love "American Girl." But in my house, growing up, you listened to Tom Petty. To say you don't like him would be like saying you didn't like oxygen.

7. Tori Amos, Sept. 5 at Red Rocks (man, the Rocks are having a killer lineup this fall). I was not one of those "Tori" girls growing up, you know, the kinds of girls, with their glitter makeup and their well-practiced smirks and dyed red hair and their Trent Reznor boyfriends and their own notebooks full of "tortured" poetry. But I still dig her, and she always tears it up at Red Rocks.

8. Devo and Flock of Seagulls at Coors Amphitheater (formerly known as Fiddler's Green. Before Colorado was officially owned by beer). The "Whip It" video is among my first television memories. Kinda explains the subsequent weirdness I exhibited as a child.

9. Henry Rollins, Macky Auditorium (Boulder), Nov. 5. Hells yeah.

Passing us by (damn you!):

Beck- sticking to the coasts. Bastard. I wanted to see "Que Onda Guero" live, dammit!He's also touring with Le Tigre this year. Double dammit.

Dolly Parton- six dates in freakin' Canada, none in flyover country. Bloody hell.

Cake- Sticking to California, Oregon and the East Coast this year. Fine. You know what? I didn't even like "No Phone" that much. Okay, yeah, I did.

Coldplay- What? The rain from last time scare you off? You're from freakin' ENGLAND.

An ad in Westword today prompted me to consider heading to Vegas for the Las Vegoose festival. I'm no Dave Matthews fan (a couple of years living in Boulder will either suck you into the Dave Matthews Vortex or sour you on them forever) but Flaming Lips, The Arcade Fire, The Shins and Ween could be fun.

Plus, it's Vegas, baby.

9 comments:

  1. Sorry, I missed your birthday blog yesterday. I am so very proud of what you've done since moving out into the world. Your happiness and success at work kind of validate the job we tried to do in attempting to prepare you. I can easily cause happy tears of pride and joy by just sitting and thinking about you for a second or two today.

    Also, very cool B'day dress!

    XOXOXO

    ;-)>

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to see SOAD/TMV in about 2 weeks.

    I like SOAD and I applaud the fact that they chose TMV for this tour, but I don't think it's such a good idea. I've heard bad things about the stupid SOAD fans booing TMV.

    Woe be unto the assclown that boos TMV around me, unless he/she is twice my size...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll also have you know that I'm almost 40 and don't have an ex named Hayleigh, so there! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww... Audrey looks like a li'l panther!

    I'm going to Vegas on the 24th - I missed Dane Cook and I'm gonna miss Vegoose too :P oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, happy belated VestalVespaMas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somewhat closer to home, there will be 2 fun filled nights of Hot WEEN Action in Boulder at the start of December.

    Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cake is the best Sacramento band named after a dessert!

    ReplyDelete