Thursday, September 08, 2005

Back to School weather

It's classic school weather today. Impossible to dress for- you have to bundle up for the cool mornings but the afternoons are still scorching. I remember being in middle school, just insisting on wearing my new fall school outfit for the first day, and each time I'd wind up suffering heat exhaustion at around 2 p.m. But I looked good.

It's weird not going back to school. Weirder still to think that it was almost 20 years ago that I went for the first time. There are still smells that trigger those back to school memories- new plastic binders, freshly sharpened pencils, and later, whatever disinfectants they fumigate dorm rooms with.

Why am I writing about this? Well, I guess it's because I have nothing else to add right now. Like everyone else, I'm outraged, angry, disappointed in the events of the past week, but just so tired of feeling that way in general. I have been enjoying the meditative nature of a 40-minute commute (not so meditative that I'm veering into medians and minivans, but enough that I can clear my head each morning) and this morning it came to me that it was school weather. And I thought I'd share.

1 comment:

  1. Please do try to focus on the beauty of the world and your wonderfully positive contributions to it. Spending too much time on outrage and anger is not good for the spirit. Very bad mojo lies down that path Simba. Life is waaaaaay too short to spend any more time than absolutely necessary being pissed off. Much better to get even through actions.

    ;-)>

    ReplyDelete