Friday, September 23, 2005

Don't you think?

Okay, let's get the kitty pic out of the way first:


I love the ear thing she's doing here. Like she hears something behind her.

Now, it was a very long night last night at the Red Room with the local scooter club (an excellent and diverse little group of people, very likeable, friendly and very dedicated) so I'll make my point as succinctly as possible.

Isn't it just the teeniest bit ironic that all those hand-picked "scientists" and "economists" on Bush's side claimed that any Kyoto-like changes would serve no purpose but to cripple the U.S. economy, when our negligence to recognize the warming of bodies of water like, oh, the Gulf of Mexico, has led to more numerous and more powerful hurricanes than ever that are knocking out ports, chemical plants and oil refineries, effectively putting the economy into a tailspin?

Let's run through that again:

Bush administration: "Kyoto will damage the U.S. Economy."

Reality: Failure to take action against global warming is damaging the U.S. economy.

A little too ironic, yeah, I really do think.

9 comments:

  1. I like your wit, gal: nicely ironic touch...and a goddam good read, btw...sorry you cant join us at the fair tomorow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two myths it seems like we'll never be able to destroy, no matter how battered they become by reality: a) Republicans are strong on defense, and b) Republicans know economics and are fiscally savvy.

    P.S. Has that pic on the lower part of the right sidebar always been there, or is it new? Just noticed it -- cute pic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh teh l4m3 . . .

    It's an old pic that got lopped off when I changed templates and I forgot to put it back.

    BTW, thought of you and your Joan Crawford poll last night when I was watching "Mommy Dearest" on Oxygen, my new favorite channel.

    Holy crap was Joan off her nut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meow. Meow. Meow. Meow. . . . Meow. Meow. Meow. Meow. . . .
    Meow. Meow. Meow. Meow. Meow. Meow. Meow. Meow.

    Sing to the Meow Mix jingle.

    Anyway, I'm about to get a job much closer to home than my existing one (1.5 miles v. 11 miles) and have wondered about a Scooter. What kind of fuel efficiency do they get? Do you need a special license? Are they fast enough for Denver city streets? Can you wear work clothes or do you find that you need to change? What do you do if it rains? How much does one cost (round numbers)? Does buying a used one ever make sense? Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hee, hee. I forgot about that poll! I wonder if it's still there...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, don't know you, but I'm an Ol' School Denverite living in upstate New York now. One of my peeps turned me on to your blog, and I thought I would pass on a blog that might interest you: http://sethabramson.blogspot.com/ --one of the most acute political/artistic blogs on the net right now. You should check it out if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, sugah. Speaking of global warming, here's an article you should read when you get a chance. I was going to blog on it, but my short attention span sent me off to something else.
    http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-09/uoaf-ctt092205.php

    I've been a little agitated lately, what with Hurricane Katrina hitting one part of my family and then Rita plowing right down the middle of my people's homeland. I've been fit to be tied. I finally had a call from my Aunt Melvin. She's 82 and lives by herself on the bank of the Sabine River (Texas side) about 30 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and five miles from the highway--(did I ever tell you I'm from the country?)--anyways, Aunt Melvin just called and told me she was in Arkansas and thanked me for my prayers. I haven't told her I don't believe in prayer. She'd probably whup me. Anyways, I heard from Aunt Melvin so I can finally go to bed now. Not that I was worried or anything, but then again, she is 82 years old.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Houston-
    Glad to hear that your family's OK . . . I know the kind of anxiety that creeps into you when your family is in danger. I've had family in quake areas and an aunt and uncle whose house burned down in the '91 fires in Malibu. It's always good when you find out they are safe and sound.

    Take care of yourself . . .

    ReplyDelete