Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Eat my Tercel Dust, elitist bitch!

Today on I-25, I saw something I see a lot. A guy (it's almost always a guy) driving a little shitbox car, held together with duct tape and WalMart bags, with a "Bush Cheney" sticker on the back.

This just kills me. The guy almost always sneers at me, in my Saab, with my "Hail to the Thief" sticker, and drives past like he's won some kind of unspoken argument with me.

Right. Good for you, man. Great. You win. You are still driving the shitbox car that you blamed Clinton for, you are filling it with gas at $2.67 a gallon and you're driving it to a job in Weld County that is probably just there until they can get the paperwork done to outsource it. Game, set, match man. I'll just go cry into my latte now.

There just seems to be this contingent of Bush voter that only voted for the guy to be audacious and "different." It's like the ultimate in political incorrectness. An act of adolescent rebellion aimed at a percieved liberal, effete, all-too-accepting culture. Kind of the political manifestation of Cartman's "Whateva! I'll do what I want!" attitude when he was on Maury Povich.

What's crazy is that I'm so angry over the way things are for poor people, and yet so many poor people are so happy with the way things are. I mean, honestly, I'm not doing too bad. I am pretty much cash poor but I do alright for myself. I have my car, my designer jeans, my pointy shoes and enough change leftover at the end of the week to eat at Little India or whatever. I'm doing OK. But the guy in the shitbox car with the Bush Cheney sticker on it probably makes do on much less than me, probably has a family, and probably is stuck with Tater Tot Casserole Tuesdays that become Tater Tot Casserole Revivals on Thursdays and Beef Hash Mondays that become Chili Surprise Wednesdays. His kids will probably be faced with the "Army v. Wal Mart" choice upon leaving high school, and if they chose the military they'll probably be shafted out of their college benefits like so many other poor kids. Life probably sucks a lot more for Mr. Shitbox. But instead of blaming Bush/Cheney 2004 for it, he blames it all on people like me. Hence the sneer.

The Lawyer and I were discussing the other day how people can be really smart, but also really wrong. But then there are people like Mr. Shitbox who are not only wrong, but very ignorant, and will probably never understand why they have to live the way they live.

8 comments:

  1. I'll let you know that liberal professionals eat Tater Tot Casserole too, thank you very much, albeit, usually with the low fat hamburger or ground turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love Tater Tot Casserole. But I'm very glad I don't have to eat it. I'm glad I can spice things up with some Pad Thai or feta cheese every once in a while, instead of throwing the tired old TTC back into the oven each night . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm not following the logic here. people are poor (or less poor than you) because bush is prsident. or is it you just don't like people sneering at you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I don't like getting sneered at. But what I'm trying to say is that I don't get the way these people can justify their decision to vote Republican (it goes past mere justification, they are damn proud of it) while their lives are obviously so much crappier for having Bush in office.

    I'm thinking along the lines of "What's the Matter with Kansas" here. These people actively, vocally and consistently vote against their own best interests, and yet are somehow so proud of the fact that they voted that way.

    I don't get it, either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I finally followed the blogwhore link, and I'm glad I did--nice blog, Vestal Vespa!

    I'm doing my commute along 34 from Loveland to Greeley. My favorite Bushie comment came on a piece of paper on my windshield in the new Greeley Target parking lot, re: my Kerry sticker--something to the effect of "I'm sorry to say I voted for the other guy, and I'm very proud of it!" Yep, we're all sorry about it, honey.

    But I'm loving all the "Proud Weld County Democrat" stickers I've been seeing.

    BTW, if there are any folks here from the Greeley area, what's up with the "Pray For Greeley" yard signs? Just general wingnuttery, or is there a point?

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my experience in eastern Washington, Republicans here vote rich and live poor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's probably not a bad idea to pray for Greeley, especially considering:

    a. It's in Musgrave's district

    and:

    b. It's the fastest growing city in America but there has been a shameful lack of infrastructure improvements there in the past 10 years.

    So if you're a praying person, I'd say go ahead and pray for Greeley. It can't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's as if, at a deep level, they're jealous of you but unaware of the emotion, which another part of their psychological make-up masks and overrides with a strange, toxic brew of hate and holier-than-thou gloat.

    ReplyDelete