Monday, October 17, 2005

Trying to keep balanced

OK, most of you have probably noticed that I've been keeping away from a lot of heavy subjects this past month or so . . . By way of explanation, this is partly because I'm suffering from random bouts of Outrage Fatigue. There's just too much right now to be angry about all at once, so I'm trying to space it all out a bit, punctuated with little dispatches about the odd incidents in my life. Trying to keep it in the spirit of what Pepper so kindly dubbed "a fizzy mix of pop and politics."

So right now I'm struggling with the latest elections in Iraq . . . I don't believe that any election that requires the banning of personal vehicles on the road during polling hours can be considered a truly "free" election. I also think back to my dreadful sixth-grade unit on our very own Civil War (in the grand tradition of Colorado Public Schools, it was taught by a guy named Ken Burns. We were forced, Clockwork Orange-style to watch the entire 3000-hour documentary in lieu of actual teaching of any kind). There were plenty of future Confederate leaders, plenty of people who would secede in the following year, who participated in the 1860 elections in America. And it didn't stop anything.

But that's about all I can say about that right now. If I get any angrier about it, I'm likely to get all despondent again, like when I finished "What's the Matter with Kansas."

So.

In the spirit of keeping the balance, I'll add to this post the fact that I'm anxiously awaiting news about whether or not I can get into a press screening of "Shopgirl." Claire Danes was among my preadolescent heroes and I really want to see this flick with author/actor Steve Martin as the older love interest. Not that I know anything about dating older men.

Ahem.

4 comments:

  1. Outrage fatigue, eh? I never knew there was a name for it. I'm also experiencing "disaster fatigue." How many people were killed in Pakistan? Too bad. Were any of them kin to me? No? Well, next subject. I haven't written a post in almost two weeks, and you know what? I still don't have anything to say. I'm sure this too will pass. I guess I can always go back to talking about Me again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LA Story is another good movie for Steve being an older love interest. Something tells me it's a "thing" with him. Which doesn't mean he doesn't make good stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read the novella first. It's slight, but cleanly formulated and an enjoyable read as such. And for the most part it rings true.

    Just wish Steve Martin had cast someone else as the Older Gentleman Lover. Just stay behind the scenes, please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my GRE words is "sordid." I am familiar with this word, but am wondering if it can be used in the same sentence as "Vestal Vespa?"

    PS. I am listening to your favorite song right now: "I wanna rock and roll all night....."

    ReplyDelete