Friday, November 25, 2005

Friday random ten: Stuck at Work Edition

Yep, stuck at work, just me and Pill Popping Mormon Mommy to keep me company. To maintain a nominal level of sanity, I'm listening to Radio 1190 and trying to look on the bright side: at least I'm not at the mall.

So here's what's getting me through the day:

1. Sufjan Stevens, "Chicago." I for one am happy to feel the Illinoise.

2. The Decemberists, "The Engine Driver." Hey, anyone looking for a way to make me happy this Christmas? Buy "Picaresque" for me.

3. Devendra Banhart, "Lazy Butterfly." Kooky Velvety Undergroundy sound.

4. Bloc Party, "Helicopter." I like percussive pop where British guys kind of sing/yell along to the music.

5. Le Tigre, "Deceptacon." I always liked Le Tigre, since they are like the Bangles with a brain.

6. Silver Jews, "How Can I Love You If You Won't Lie Down." Heh. How romantic . . .

7. I Am The World Trade Center, "Great Escape." There's something about these kids . . . I dig the poppy eighties sound.

8. Wovenhand, "Wooden Brother." I'm a sucker for surf guitar.

9. Page France, "Dogs." A sweet indie song that would be on the sequel to the Garden State soundtrack.

10. Pictureplane, "Orange Red Yellow." A Denver electronica artist, kind of our own local Aphex Twin.

Also:
Shout out to the little Vespa, who finally got her marching orders from the Peace Corps today and will be heading for Africa in February.

5 comments:

  1. I once made fun of I Am The World Trade Center (more specifically, their MP3-DJ side project) at an awards show, and that dude still gives me a go-to-hell look three years' since. I mean, really: if you're "performance" consists of booting up a computer, you should take your shots like a man, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm split on the album version of Sufjan Stevens' Chicago and the iTunes exclusive remix of the song. But that album has so many gorgeous songs. (I admit I'm a bit biased as I'm a Downstate Illnoisian). Decatur makes me laugh (I spent a summer in Decatur as a newspaper intern), Casimir Pulaski Day makes me cry (it's such a sad song that it takes away the whole humor of the celebration of Casimir Pulaski Day--oh, and let's not forget there was an obscene Big Black song by the same name (Steve Albini's onetime band)) (too many parentheses). And of course there's the Man of Metropolis (the father of a college friend was the editor of the paper in Metropolis, Illinois, which was called--no joke--The Planet, although it was weekly, not daily).

    Ahhh, good times, good times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I'm a bit ashamed to say that I've been to all too many of the places Sufjan mentions in the album.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not one of the links worked for me, not one. Am I doing something wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was listening to Le Tigre back when the only place they got play outside of tiny clubs was on PlanetOut Webcasts. So there.

    ReplyDelete