Wednesday, November 09, 2005

It's up to you, New York

Mr. Bloomberg, a billionaire businessman who paid more than $70 million for his own campaign, portrayed himself as a technocrat who was beholden to no one and who had brought the city back from the dark days after 9/11 as crime rates fell, students' test scores rose, and the economy rebounded.

[snip]

In the end Mr. Ferrer was never more than an underdog, as their race quickly turned into one of the most lopsided spending contests in city history and the Democrat struggled to raise even $5 million.


$70 million vs. $5 million.

To compare:
$70 million = most expensive house sale history

$5 million = Paris Hilton's engagement ring.

2 comments:

  1. I hear Ferrer isn't exactly poor as a church mouse either (correct me if I'm wrong). Was he too honest to use his millions if so, or just too stingy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Ferrer was down by 40 points for most of the campaign. I wouldn't want to drop money into a campaign that was doomed from the beginning either.

    Not that I ever want to be defending a Republican, but as a New Yorker who's seen Bloomberg's entire administration, I think I have to. In this city, registered Dems outnumber registered Republicans by at least 5 to 1 (and I think it may be more than that). For a Republican to win, period - much less by this margin - he has to be doing something right.

    Most of the analyses I've seen have proclaimed Bloomberg's first term as one of the most successful mayoral terms in the city's history -- and Bloomberg is generally considered (already) one of the city's best-ever mayors. I run in Democratic circles, and even I couldn't find many Dems who weren't enthusiastic about Bloomberg. I don't know anyone who voted for Ferrer (or who'd cop to it anyway - and since we're Dems, I don't see the logic behind saying you're going to vote for a Republican when you're not really going to).

    Things aren't perfect here, true. There are things that could be fixed (ridiculously high housing costs chief among them, and the disparity between the wealthy sections of town and the poorest Bronx and Brooklyn neighborhoods). But Ferrer wasn't going to solve them just by being a Democrat. I felt okay with Bloomberg, and I'm not at all bothered by his re-election.

    Just the persepctive of a reluctant transplated New Yorker.

    ReplyDelete