Monday, November 07, 2005

"So I can hurt now, or hurt later"

Finally got to see Shopgirl (sans media passes, damnit) but it was well worth the price. A beautifully photographed, funny and yet poignant love story. And it includes an incredibly awkward sex scene between Claire Danes and Jason Schwartzman. I love awkward sex scenes.

It is odd that I mentioned to someone that shots of Danes are done like Dutch paintings, because the director was the producer of "Girl with Pearl Earring." Interesting.

At any rate, well worth a look. Not a loopy romantic comedy, not a gloomy indy love story. Somewhere in between, which is nice. It's more about growing up and how we get to be who we really are, rather than a two-hour excuse to show Claire Danes naked.

Light posting this week, I'm afraid . . . the social life is suddenly more lively and work is kicking into full, end-of-year chaos.

7 comments:

  1. Speaking of Danes, does anyone remember My So Called Life? That show kicked ass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, My So Called Life, *gasping, looking for words* I just can't describe how much I loved that show. I have watched every episode so many times, they used to re-run it on MTV and then on The N, I could probably recite the whole season. So many hours of my life are gone because of that show, and I don't really feel like it was a waste...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mean this movie doesn't show Claire Danes naked? ;-)

    This one's on my list of films I want to see. Good to know it will be worth my money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does this mean we don't get to see Steve Martin named?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course, that should read "naked." Way to make a bad joke worse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me know when social and work aren't so lively, because I very much like talking to VV.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steve Martin is an artist with a painter's eye. His "LA Story" is not only hilarious (maybe moreso today) but explodes with Rousseau visuals, among others.

    Another actor-(& photographer)-turned-director/writer/producer with a painterly approach to visuals is Diane Keaton and her underrated "Unstrung Heroes".

    ReplyDelete