Monday, November 28, 2005

This fucking war.

It's been a long time since I've had a good long rant here, but I'm due.

Got an email today from a guy on MySpace that I hadn't even thought about in years. He was a loose acquaintance, a boyfriend of a friend of mine, a nice enough kid, if a bit of a Jesus freak. 26 years old now, a wife and two little kids.

He's on his second tour of Iraq.

He has a blog up, and he's a fucking great writer. His wallpaper on the site is coffins draped in flags.

This fucking war.

I am able to tuck the war away in my mind pretty well. It dwells in the dark spaces of my consciousness most of the time, like for most Americans. It is a small rumbling notion that gets under my skin sometimes but for the most part it doesn't make it to the front of the line of my thoughts. Until I think of people like Ben.

I doubt that many people whose "Support Our Troops!" ribbons share real estate with a Bush Cheney 04 sticker know anyone like Ben. Ben's a middle class kid from a rural Colorado town, a former youth group leader, a former Drama Club member. A writer. An artist. A young dad. A smart kid. The coffin-draped flags on his page suggest to me that he's not a cheerleader for the Bush cause. He tells me he's getting out of the military in August to spend more time with his kids. I hope to God he gets out soon.

I'm so sick of this fucking war. I'm sick of stories about kids like Ben dying in the sand on the Airport road, stories that are presented on teevee as mere footnotes to the far more pressing items about Jessica Simpson's impending divorce or some missing white girl who disappeared into the ether at the same time the President's approval ratings hit the 33 percent mark. I'm sick of people like Ben being used as a consumable in this fucking war. I'm sick of being told that I am not "supporting the troops" when I express the opinion that they are being misused and misled. I hate this fucking war and I hate the guys that started it. The troops, on the other hand, are my friends. They are my classmates. They are kids I used to go to Denny's with after theater rehearsals. I support them. I want them to come home to their kids and their families. This is more important to me than anything they could accomplish in Iraq- and that's assuming they would accomplish anything.

Fuck you and your fucking war, Mr. President.

(note- link to Ben's blog not included because a.) you have to register on Myspace to read blogs and b.) I'm doing my best to keep my bloglife and myspace life separate. But for an excellent anti-war soldier blog, click here.)

4 comments:

  1. can we have a link to your friend's blog? or are you concerned about it suffering the slashdot effect? [or in our case, the eschaton effect]

    ReplyDelete
  2. But, but Jessica Simpson is getting DIVORCED! I mean Come ON! Where are your priorities man?

    Plus I just read in the Star (The Star! The Star! The Colorful, Colorful Star!) that that white girl in Aruba CALLED HER MOTHER! Now THAT is news we can USE!

    /nice post btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From your mouth to God's ear, honeybunch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stay in and we feed a war machine which continues to throw chump change at GOP candidates for big contracts.

    Pull out and we place our delicate SUV-sized balls in the hands of Iran and the Kingdom o' Saud.

    That's some catch, that Catch-22.

    ReplyDelete