Friday, January 13, 2006

Friday random ten, busy edition

OK, here's what's been rattling around in my head lately:

1. Neko Case: "Furnace Room Lullaby." Killer voice, killer lyrics.

2. Deathcab for Cutie: "I Will Follow You Into the Dark." Christ, what a depressing song. But catchy . . .

3. Bloc Party: Pioneers. Shaking hands with a hurricane: not recommended.

4. Franz Ferdinand: "Well That Was Easy." Particularly relevant after giving my notice at the paper.

5. Modest Mouse: "Gravity Rides Everything." When I saw these guys live at Red Rocks, I was of the mind that they were terribly overrated. But this song presents a good argument against my hypothesis.

6. Interpol: "C'mere." I don't know why, but this song just creeps into my brain and refuses to leave.

7. Frank Sinatra: "I've Got the World on a String." I've been feeling like I do have the world on a string lately.

8. The Walkmen: "We've Been Had." I like this one- it's about growing up. And I dig the surreal, child's piano sound at the beginning.

9. Rufus Wainwright: "Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk." While the combination sounds truly disgusting, the song is excellent.

10. The Decemberists: "The Engine Driver." I like these guys. They're like alt-minstrels or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment