OK, here's what's been rattling around in my head lately:
1. Neko Case: "Furnace Room Lullaby." Killer voice, killer lyrics.
2. Deathcab for Cutie: "I Will Follow You Into the Dark." Christ, what a depressing song. But catchy . . .
3. Bloc Party: Pioneers. Shaking hands with a hurricane: not recommended.
4. Franz Ferdinand: "Well That Was Easy." Particularly relevant after giving my notice at the paper.
5. Modest Mouse: "Gravity Rides Everything." When I saw these guys live at Red Rocks, I was of the mind that they were terribly overrated. But this song presents a good argument against my hypothesis.
6. Interpol: "C'mere." I don't know why, but this song just creeps into my brain and refuses to leave.
7. Frank Sinatra: "I've Got the World on a String." I've been feeling like I do have the world on a string lately.
8. The Walkmen: "We've Been Had." I like this one- it's about growing up. And I dig the surreal, child's piano sound at the beginning.
9. Rufus Wainwright: "Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk." While the combination sounds truly disgusting, the song is excellent.
10. The Decemberists: "The Engine Driver." I like these guys. They're like alt-minstrels or something.