Tuesday, January 03, 2006

In lieu of lists . . .

A word of advice.

If you haven't yet, go to your nearest Landmark cinema and see "Brokeback Mountain." Now. No questions, no whining, no excuses, no "I accept homosexuality as a lifestyle but I don't want it shoved in my face," nothing. Just. Go.

It's a great Western, a great romance, a great movie. Something for everyone. Take your straight boyfriend (if you have to, you can tell him that Anne Hathaway's breasts make a rather exuberant appearance), your gay friends, your girlfriends, your grandma, everyone you know.

Absolutely gorgeous- from Jake Gyllenhall's Wyoming sky-blue eyes to the sharp spires of the Tetons to Michelle Williams' face when she cries.

It's one of those rare victories of postmodernism when a Taiwanese director can create such a quintessentially American film with the help of two Argentinian music composers and a Mexican cinematographer.

So yeah. Go see.

7 comments:

  1. Considering I'm in good-ole SE Texas, I guess I'm going to have to wait for the rental. These Bubbas will never show it here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to go see Munich. It's a very timely and sharp. I'd highly recommend it.

    In true postmodern form(lessness), Brokeback Mountain explodes its own paraody.
    Eh, Latour was right...

    ReplyDelete
  3. No questions, no whining, no excuses, no "I accept homosexuality as a lifestyle but I don't want it shoved in my face,"

    Hey, I don't mind it shoved in my face, but I totally expect a courtesy tap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw it New Year's Day. Loved it. It is absolutely worth paying full price, and it is a sweet story told with few words and lots of brilliant visuals.

    The Bubbas will never get past that it is two men. They would not appreciate a story like this even if it weren't homosexual.

    Good stuff.

    -- L.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right, --L

    But they're making progress...'Monster's Ball' was here a whole week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, well, I'VE heard that this movie will make you gay.

    so, i'll need to see it, then, perhaps spend a day seeing it, over and over again, and then, only as an experiment, put on my "princess" t-shirt and roller skates and hit the town to see if i find myself yearning to be wrapped up and feeling safe, oh so safe, in the heavily muscled and tattooed arms of a henry rollins lookalike.

    ReplyDelete