Thursday, January 12, 2006

Now it's time to say goodbye

So. Looks like I'm not long for the newspaper world. And I have to say I am glad.

It definitely feels like I'm getting out while the getting is good. Although they are telling me they will keep me on as a columnist til the contract is through and I offered up my services as an arts and entertainment correspondent on an as-needed freelance basis.

Moving on feels really good, especially since it means no more 40-minute commute, more money, much better benefits, a really creative and fun company and three weeks of vacation my first year.

In three short weeks, the Times-Call chapter of my life will be effectively over. Which is bittersweet. I have met some amazing and talented people, and I've had some great times. You can't beat getting paid to write about a ride on the back of a scooter, getting paid to watch a world-class theater production, getting paid to vent your thoughts in print. But there are also the not-so-small considerations of student loans, savings, financial breathing room, and just generally having enough scratch to do what you love to do. And so capitalism guides our life decisions . . . but that's another blog altogether.

So I'm moving on. That's the big news. Growing up. Some might say selling out. But it's time.

Meantime, this l'il site will still chug along. The new job, as a proofer at a local ad agency, will mean no longer sitting in front of a PC for eight hours a day, so posts will probably pop up late in the evening, and probably with less than daily frequency. But I'll throw in my .02 on the world's problems when I can.

Wish me luck!

13 comments:

  1. Good Luck!

    At the end of the day, at least you had the experience. So many folks go through life and do nothing. I must admit that I'm pretty nostalgic for the life i once lead in that now I live in the burbs and work in an occupation which is a far cry from my days of fronting a punk rock band and backpacking around the world.

    Listen to Husker Du's "These Important Years".....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck, V! I like your attitude!

    Not really Thers, but T2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations and best of luck! I hope your new position is the awesome job you deserve. Sounds like it'll make saving for the scooter easier too :)

    Ixdal! (It's my login word, but it could be a celebratory term in some alien language...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. More money is spent on ads than content anyways. Might as well make the most of your presentation skills, which are superb.

    Put more of your personality into your work when you get the chance. It will distinguish you from others!

    Good luck VV!
    -Mr.M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck Vespa! A new beginning!

    Oh, and you rock!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck in the next gig, VV.

    But definately, from where you're at to Longmont? No thanks. I had enough trouble with the Boulder Turnpike back in my cab driving days to want to scream whenever I hear there's an accident just before Sheridan. Again.

    And I don't even have a car now!

    Scarred for life?

    OC

    ReplyDelete
  7. GOODLUCKGOODLUCKGOODLUCKGOODLUCK!

    Growin up and out is not selling out! Now Condi Rice--that's selling out. NO, I'm kidding! Seriously, you know we're all wishing you much success in your new endeavor...and now you may be able to afford your own scooter!

    GO VESPA! GET BUSY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The ad world can fun and you can still keep your toes in journalism -- especially here in Colorado. Best of luck. Btw, do you copy edit freelance basis? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. be honest - can you really make job-quitting kinda money from that phone sex gig, or do you have phone sex ambitions?

    it's a cruel business, one that'll suck on you, lick on you, then chew you up, gargle with you, and then spit you out. believe me - i know.

    take a look at my face, vestal vespa - do you think it was drinking and gas huffing and moonshine that made it all leathery and beat up? no! no, it was the phone sex! don't do it, i beg of you! stay with the newspaper! phone sex may seem full of glamour, but it will break you, just as it did me!

    oh...my youth! where did it go...? aahhh...my pretty pretty mind...

    ReplyDelete
  10. The best revenge is living well. Care to place a bet on who gets their student loans paid off first?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmmm, you can always work a side job.

    Along this line of work you are more than qualified. perhaps they'll consider regional efforts soon, as a counter-lobby to lobbyists.

    Follow.The.Money. Oppose it on ground level everywhere it leads.

    -Mr.Murder

    ReplyDelete