Thursday, April 27, 2006

. . . and so we beat back, ceaselessly against the current of Ketel Red Bulls . . .

Boys and girls, welcome to Celebrity Worship Theater.

It's been a while since I've used this space to vent about a cultural issue, but this article grabbed me for its Fitzgerald allusion to Gatsby and his obsessions with those who had more money and status than he. A Gatsby, therefore, is akin to today's party hosts and VIP planners. He is not a celebrity, but enjoys being close to those who are.

But there is a difference between Gatsby and these modern-day scenemakers. Gatsby may have had a made-up persona, but at least it was a persona. These people are about as dimensional as a parking ticket. The only reason they can even conduct these Xenii parties is because they have money and a perceived exclusivity.

The quotes in the story are unbelievable. "There are no hot guys here." "I'm not going to meet the woman I'm going to marry here, but I'm OK with that" "Not to be an elitist, but let's be honest, I want to be with the same demographic [as Jessica Alba]."

The entire structure of these parties is not so much like a real party, but a reality TV show about people who think they're special for hanging out with celebrities. The venues are outfitted like a soundstage. Celebrities are invited as if it were a casting call. And the wealthy pay a stout monthly fee (let's just say it's about eight times what I pay for rent) just to be around them.

I have to say, there are times when I'm happy I'm just a plebian. If I had to pay for friends, I'd be downing the $15 cocktails, too.

2 comments:

  1. indeed, all the gatsbys i know have bad taste in chix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just another reason for me to believe I'll be able to die perfectly content without ever having set foot in southern California.

    ReplyDelete