Thursday, May 11, 2006

Legalize it?

So last night, in search of some liquid comfort, I headed down to Drinking Liberally Denver. The usual crowd was there, and a good time was had. I managed to show up right in the middle of Mason Tvert's schpeil on legalizing marijuana. You can read more about the night here.

I think it's interesting that so many people who smoke pot do not make a priority issue of legalizing the stuff. I mean, for most of us, it's the most significantly illegal thing we've ever done. Smoking pot carries with it real jail time in some areas, and sale and possession usually carries with it real consequences. So why do so many people consider legalizing pot such a backburner issue?

Because they know they'll never go to jail for it. Deep down, even the most left-leaning hippie knows that only brown and black people ever get into any real trouble for pot, so they can't be bothered to actually do anything to work toward full legalization. Sure, they'll vote if it's on the ballot, but they'll consistently support candidates that either say nothing about the issue or are actively anti-drug in their stance.

Think about it, kids- if you support an anti-drug candidate, you are implicitly supporting someone who says you belong in jail if you have ever smoked the green stuff.

And if you keep supporting them, it's kinda like you think you belong in jail, too.

Just something to consider. I'd never really thought about it myself until last night.

6 comments:

  1. Of course, some of us don't smoke the stuff in the first place. Allergies can be a pain sometimes, but this is one that I really don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Deep down, even the most left-leaning hippie knows that only brown and black people ever get into any real trouble for pot, so they can't be bothered to actually do anything to work toward full legalization"

    Oh, please. Pot smokers don't work harder for legalization because they all carry implicit racist assumptions around in their heads? Really?

    I've been to legalization rallies. I voted Yes for medical marijuana. I've written letters to editors.

    As for voting for pro-pot candidates, name five; no, name two (2) anti War On Drugs or pro-pot candidates who have run on a national platform in the past 20 years. You may be able to name two after a Google search, but if every pot smoker in the country voted for them, would they have won?

    I'm sorry, I want to be friendly, but I think you've made an inane argument here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, LPW. I'm glad you're working hard on this cause.

    But I'd argue that many, many people who smoke pot can't be bothered to be as proactive as you, because they know their behavior carries little risk of actual consequences.

    Maybe not because of implicit racial assumptions, but because they know that none of their friends, none of their family, none of the people they know who do it get caught.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of like being a small-time criminal though. It satisfies the anarchistic streak.

    I agree with VV though .. the reason I am not a proactive campaigner is that I know that *I* will never go to prison for smoking or possessing the stuff .. unless I am ever stupid enough to get caught with a 9 bar of the finest Moroccan hashish stuff, in which case I probably wouldn’t care anyway.

    With my profile (white Anglo-Saxon male in gainful professional employment) - and assuming I wasn’t into industrial scale production - I could grow the stuff and all they would do is uproot the plants and slap me on the wrist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I mean, for most of us, it's the most significantly illegal thing we've ever done.

    :|

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I think it's interesting that so many people who smoke pot do not make a priority issue of legalizing the stuff."

    Stoners prioritize? Pfftht.

    ReplyDelete