Friday, June 02, 2006

I forgot my own anniversary

Does this make me like a deadbeat dad or something?

Yeah. Vestal Vespa (in blogger/blogspot form) began three years ago as a little venting tool during my senior year at Coe College. Technically it is now closer to three years, one month old, but it turned 3 on May 7.

Looking back at the archives is interesting- most of my misguided opinions from back then are pretty classically adolescent in nature, but they evolve and change and get more mature. And I noticed that I, too, have changed a lot in these past three years. People have always told me that your early 20s are the time when you change the most. I now have to agree. It's been nuts. The highs have been so high, the lows have been devastating. And it seems there is no end in sight.

But the blog has been a great catharsis. For me, it has meant meeting new people, gaining a modest amount of notoriety in the online community as well as in fleshspace, a place for me to air grievances, to broadcast successes and to recuperate from failures.

I was discussing with someone the other day how it was once so secret, these diary thoughts. Time was, you'd write your deepest secrets and fears in a book and lock them away with a little gold key. But I've found it tremendously liberating to put these thoughts here, for all the world to see and scrutinize. This blog is me. Vestal Vespa is Cassandra Schoon. It is my secrets, my hopes, my fears, my opinions, and for the past three years it has been my story of growing up in a world that alternately tortures and delights. All of the people I have met through this have been people who knew me before they knew me.

All in all, it has been an amazing ride. I have said before that I believe the blogging revolution (if you can call it such) is the apogee of the Internet's humanity. It is a way for people to share themselves with the world. And so I have shared myself with you all. Thank you for continuing to let me do that.

6 comments:

  1. Grrl's gettin' all growed up an' stuff.

    Well, Happy Nummer tres!

    Keep the Vespa wheels turnin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quiet, you. Matlock's on!

    (Congratulations on your longevity)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo! These internets are better with you here Vespa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Currently taking bets on whether I'll make it to my own three-year anniversary. Especially seeing as how I haven't yet had my one-year anniversary, the under bet is heavily favored.

    Congrats, VV.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations. I'd offer more pithy comments, but my own three-year mark approaches and I've been on a pretty lengthy crying jag as a result.

    ReplyDelete